Fatima Zanin ,DDS,MS, PhD
- Doctor in Dentistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ, Brazil,
- Collaborative Professor of the Collective Health Specialization, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ,Brazil.
- Master and Specialist in Dentistry, UNICASTELO, Brazil
- Graduated in Dentistry from the Faculty of Dentistry of UNESP Araçatuba Brazil (1979)
- Founder and Director of Biophotonics Center at Brugnera Zanin Institute, São Paulo, Brazil.
- Country Representative of Brazil, in the WFLD – World Federation for Laser Dentistry
- More than 60 works in the area of Laser in Dentistry, published internationally.
- Author of the Books Laser Dentistry: from Clinician to Clinician; Application of Laser in Dentistry and Dental Whitening with Laser Light and Leds
- Several chapters in other national and international publications.
- Practice Area: Diagnosis of caries lesions using laser fluorescence;
- Er:YAG Laser Aplications in hard and soft tissues; Photobiomodulation and
- Dental Bleaching with Laser and Leds.
Title: The use of Er YAG Laser in dental practice: clinical cases (on-line lecture)
Introduction: The aim of this presentation is to demonstrate, based upon scientific evidence, the efficacy of dental treatment using the Er:YAG laser. The literature cites the various benefits of this technique for dental procedures, with the advantages of effects and of quick cavitation of dental structure, with minimal thermal effect.
Materials and Methods-This paper reports the clinical cases with the innovative technology of Er YAG, ( Lite Touch Laser – Light Instruments, Israel).
Discursion: The new features of this new equipment is act both soft and hard tissue dental treatments. Er:YAG is highly absorbed in water and hydroxyapatite , can remove dental caries and resin in a non-contact mode, without any vibration. The Erbium wavelengths coincide with the absorption peak of water and hydroxyapatite causing removal of hard dental tissue by micro explosions. Caries tissues contains even more water compared to healthy hard tissues and therefore the high absorption of the Er:YAG laser provides a selective caries removal without extending the preparation into sound tooth structure This is possible because this laser has several energy levels (mJ) and frequency (Hz) that are selected according to the needs of each case In the soft tissues it was observed fast and efficient cutting, easy in removal gingival hyperplasia and gingival contouring and decontamination of tissues. This presentation show clinical cases with Er:YAG laser in hemolasertherapy , gingival plastic surgery, periimplantitis and cavity preparation and the parameters used in these treatments. The other clinicals use are for the removal of porcelain restorations offers an alternative to high-speed handpieces, avoiding iatrogenic damage to the underlying dental structure. It can be used to efficiently, safely, and predictably remove all porcelain restorations while also keeping them in one piece. If the restoration can be removed and reused and rebounded with minor alterations, it can be a huge time and cost saver for all parties involved. these veneers do not fracture during the removal process, because presents higher flexural strength of E.max (lithium disilicate resist the pressure build up between the tooth and the veneer during the explosive ablation of the cement.). Morford e cols. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 43:965–974 (2011)
Conclusion : Dental treatment with the Er:YAG laser was a secure and efficient method of treatment with more comfort and security for the patients.