Panhóca Vitor Hugo
Vitor Hugo Panhóca DDS,MS,PhD
- Specialist in Orofacial Pain and Temporomandibular Disorders at Paulista School of Medicine, Federal University of São Paulo – Brazil.
- Master in Biotechnology from Sao Carlos Federal University – Brazil.
- Doctor in Biotechnology from Sao Carlos Federal University – Brazil.
- Post-doctorate in Material Sciences and Physics at the Physics Institute of São Carlos (University of São Paulo) – Brazil.
- Currently a Researcher at the Biophotonics Laboratory (IFSC – USP) – Brazil.
- Qualified in LASERTHERAPY by the Federal Council of Dentistry – Brazil.
- Founding partner of the Brazilian Society of Temporomandibular Disorders and Orofacial Pain (SBDOF) – Brazil.
- He has more than 30 articles published in National and International Journals.
Title: Synergistic treatment with simultaneously use of vacuum therapy and photobiomodulation therapy (PBMT) on temporomandibular disorders (TMD)
Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) is a term used in functional disorders related to the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). This dysfunction refers to a set of disorders characterized by joint noises, limitations in range of motion or deviations during mandibular function. The etiology of TMD is multifactorial. Aim: The purpose of this study was to analyze the oral health-related quality of life (OHIP-14) of a patient with TMD who were treated simultaneously with vacuum therapy and photobiomodulation therapy (PBMT). Material and Methods: This oral presentation included patient diagnosed with TMD according to the DC/TMD. The patient was treated with equipment consisting of negative pressure and PBMT in the same system. OHRQoL was evaluated by the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14) in three moments: pre-treatment (T0), after the eight treatment sessions (T1) and 30 days after the end of treatment (T2). Results: Patients screened according to the DC/TMD with TMD were treated simultaneously with vacuum therapy and PBMT with results of improvement in pain, mouth opening and quality of life. Conclusion: Combined therapies (PBMT and vacuum therapies) may be a complementary or alternative treatment to control pain and decrease the recovery time of normality masticatory muscles. The beneficial effects persisted and improved the quality of life of this patient.