Gaeta Giovanni Maria
Dr. Giovanni Maria Gaeta DDS Phd (Italian Dental Educator)
Professor (Contract) Oral Medicine Naples Italy
Regional Center for Craniofacial Malformations Second University of Naples Italy
- Degree in Dentistry 1988. PHD in Periodontics 1990.
- Professor of Oral Medicine since 1990 to 2005 School of Dentistry Second University of Naples.
- Professor of Pathology, Perugia University 2004
- Professor of Laser Surgery, Cagliari University 2008
- Professor of Laser Therapy in Dentistry, Florence and Parma Universities
- Master for Advanced in Aesthetic Medicine, Cagliari, Chieti and Milano Universities
- Lecturer of the “Advanced training in Laser Surgery” Rome “La Sapienza” University since 2003
- Professor of European Master Degree On Oral Laser Application (EMDOLA) Rome “La Sapienza” University
- Visiting Professor University of California San Francisco Department of Oral Medicine
- Member of International Committee of the American Academy of Oral Medicine.
- President of the Italian Society of Dental Laser Therapy (SILO)
- Member of the Board of the Italian Society of Oral Pathology and Medicine from 1996 to 1999 and from 2003 to 2006.
- Government scientific adviser for the Ministry of Health on the development of new biomedical technologies applied to Dentistry (2004-2008).
- Scientific Advisor and Trainer Den Mat – (USA) since 2006
- Member of the Scientific Committee and Referee of different Scientific Journals
- Invited Lecturer, (over 1000) in National and International Conferences.
- Author of about 100 scientific publications in national and international journals.
- Author of Italian and English textbooks.
Title: Smile Aesthetic and Laser Treatment
Traditionally, cosmetic therapies in the oral cavity are performed with cold or thermal blade surgical instruments and with rotary instruments. Currently, the growing demand for aesthetic treatments in dentistry has meant that lasers are increasingly used for their characteristics in order to achieve aesthetic treatment goals, starting to show their true potential in dentistry. The use of laser systems in the field of dentistry has now become a common procedure and represents a valid aid to traditional aesthetic methods. In some cases, the laser has become the now irreplaceable “gold standard”. We have come a long way since 1990 when the first laser for use in dentistry was accepted by the FDA. An increase in the fields of applications, techniques of use and sources available in dentistry in the last decade and the promises that are already shown in research today herald a “next big event” for the near future. After an examination of the methods of use and the fields of application of the different laser sources for the aesthetic improvements of the soft and hard tissues of the oral cavity for ablative and regenerative purposes and of the perioral ones for “resurfacing” and the treatment of blemishes skin, the conditions are provided for creating knowledge of laser technology applied to the aesthetic reconstruction of the smile, in order to favor an improvement and simplification of therapeutic treatments and to provide the operator with the tools suitable for the correct use of laser sources in daily clinical activity. However, some applications are still in their infancy and many controlled clinical and experimental trials will still have to be carried out to obtain an improvement in therapeutic protocols and procedures. Therefore, the choice of a laser or traditional therapy treatment will have to be carefully evaluated by the operator who will be able to discern the most suitable conditions for one or the other therapeutic application in order to obtain the best result for the patient’s health and well-being.