Nasim Chiniforush DDS, PhD of laser in dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
- Assistant professor, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Fellowship of laser dentistry, Genoa University, Italy
- Head of Laser Research Center of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Director of the Leading House of Iran Switzerland Academic Partnerships
- Member of Academy of laser dentistry (ALD)
- Country representative of world federation of laser dentistry (WFLD)
- Publication of more than 180 article in indexed journals
- More than 170 lectures in national and international congresses
- Lecturing in more than 160 workshops about laser dentistry
- Publishing 3 books regarding laser dentistry
- Reviewer in highly indexed journals
Topic: The role of natural and chemical mediated photodynamic therapy in management of oral infection
The main goal in dental treatment is s to eliminate or at least decrease microbial population. Among different antibacterial laser procedures, antimicrobial Photodynamic therapy (aPDT) has gained special attention due to its minimally invasive manner and safety. This technique includes light of a specific wavelength to activate a photosensitizer in the presence of oxygen to produce cytotoxic products which leads to cell death. Various types of chemical and natural photosensitizers like toluidine blue, methylene blue, indocyanine green, phycocyanin, curcumin are used. This new approach of using aPDT with natural photosensitizers with potential biological activities can be beneficial as an adjunct to conventional therapy. The aim of this lecture is to assess the anti-bacterial efficacy with aPDT against oral bacteria.